WordPress software was easily installed on Windows Vista Home Premium in about 5 minutes after the server (Apache) and database (MySql) software were installed via XAMPP. This easy install of WordPress was modified slightly from directions shared by GeeksAreSexy at Blogspot. Thanks, Kiltak!
I used the XAMPP setup and worked with phpMyAdmin (a software package that comes with XAMPP for ease of database use) for about a week before installing the blogging software as I wanted to make sure that everything was working as it should.
Here are my basic steps for installing WP:
- Download and install XAMPP.
- Download latest version of WordPress.
- With XAMPP control panel turn on Apache and MySql services.
- Open phpMyAdmin and create a new database called wordpress.
- Modify the file named wp-config-sample.php to include your database name, username and password, which are most likely “wordpress”, “root”, and “”, respectively.
- Browse to http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php, enter your blog name and email address and click on install.
- Sign in to your new blog and create a post!